Below are some details from our very helpful local hosts at the University of Michigan’s English Language Institute that will help you get to and around Ann Arbor.
All CGC Summer Institute events will take place in Weiser Hall, 500 Church Street, 48109, in the heart of U-M’s central campus, within easy walking distance of parking and the conference hotel, the Graduate Ann Arbor. See the attached campus map.
Ann Arbor is approximately 25 minutes by car from Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport (DTW). Here is some information about transportation options from DTW to Ann Arbor.
Hotels within walking distance to campus:
- Graduate Ann Arbor (Conference hotel)
- Inn at the Michigan League
- Bell Tower Hotel
- Residence Inn Ann Arbor Downtown
Not located within walking distance, but provides free shuttle to campus:
If you will be driving to campus, please use the Forest Avenue Parking Structure, 650 S. Forest Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.
Maps and Local Transportation
The University of Michigan Central Campus is located in the heart of downtown Ann Arbor. Here is a printable campus map, highlighting Weiser Hall, Graduate Inn, and the Forest Street Parking Structure. You can also view our online interactive map.
Ann Arbor’s city bus service “The Ride” offers extensive service to destinations in town and the surrounding areas.
Things to Do Around Town
Looking for other things to do while you are visiting? We hope your travel plans will allow some time to get out and wander around town: “A2” is consistently rated one of the ‘best college towns’ and ‘best places to live’ in the US, based on its walkability, cultural offerings, and many top-notch restaurants and bars. A couple of fun spots on or around campus include:
- Zingerman’s Deli – 422 Detroit Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 (They will be catering two of our lunches, but this world-famous Deli is an experience in itself and well worth a visit if you have time to drop in.)
- University of Michigan Art Museum (UMMA) -525 S State St, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
- Nickel’s Arcade – 328 S State St, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104
- Blank Slate Creamery – 300 W Liberty Rd, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(Gourmet ice cream that has ’em lining up every evening)
- Detroit Filling Station – 300 Detroit Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 (Haute vegan cuisine, down the block from Zingerman’s)
The Summer Institute coincides with the Ann Arbor Summer Festival, a month-long celebration featuring indoor and outdoor music, performance, food, drink and fun. The stage in front of U-M’s Rackham Graduate School is on the way from the Graduate Inn to Weiser Hall, so you can check out up-and-coming acts or grab a cold one in the beer garden.
And if you have some extra time, check out nearby Detroit, which after a few rough years is hopping again. It is home of the world-class Detroit Institute of Art and a hot foodie scene. Be sure to ask Angelo for his Detroit sightseeing tips!